Phase 1. Ask: Topic Exploration

Banner Buttons

Description: The Topic Exploration will offer an opportunity for students to become “Experienced” (to know one’s way around) a new or familiar topic related to the BC Curriculum (or other curriculum, in consultation with the instructor). Students will be encouraged to dwell in the topic itself, discovering its aliveness, its abundance, and its possibilities for inquiry. The assignment will consist of a 1000-word open-format reflection, including key references, images, videos, brainstorms or other resources, that demonstrates an evolving and deepening understanding of the topic itself. Key questions might include: How is this topic “alive” in the world? What is the history of this topic? What are the controversies within this topic? What are the key questions within this topic? How am I experiencing the “joy” of this topic, and the experience of “the more I know, the more I realize there is to learn” about this topic? Please include a minimum of three outside APA resources directly related to your topic of exploration.